Jacob’s Birth Story Part I

>I suppose my labor story really starts on Monday, August 23rd. I started having contractions throughout the day. They weren’t strong (really just tightening). They were probably just braxton hicks contractions, but I definitely felt a ton more than I had in the previous months. They were completely random, but they continued throughout most of Monday and into Tuesday.

On Wednesday I had my 39 week doctors appointment. The week before I had been between 1 and 2 centimeters and completely posterior. We were hoping for change and hoping that my cervix would be a little big more favorable so that if I needed an induction the following week it would be more likely to end in a vaginal birth and not a c-section. Mr. P was convinced I was going to make it to our induction the next Tuesday. When the doctor checked me I was at 3 centimeters and 80% effaced. My cervix had moved out of the posterior position. Jacob was not engaged, but head down and ready to go. The doctor told Mr P that my chances of delivering over the weekend were 25%, but that was after he said he’d be surprised if I made it to our induction date. I think he was trying to make him feel better about the trip to Vegas.

On the way home from the doctor’s appointment I started having contractions that were stronger than those I’d had on Monday. They felt like mild cramps and were still random, but definitely there. Although I was always crampy after an internal exam, these were definitely stronger. When I timed them they were averaging 7 to 8 minutes apart, but over time they started to slow down.

That evening we had our dinner at The Cliff House and afterwards we went over to Mike and Tiffany’s to hang out for a bit. Tiffany and I spent our time discussing how I was feeling and how her labor went. We even texted her friend who is a midwife to ask when she thought I was going to go into labor. She thought it would be soon, but wasn’t sure how soon. The boys sat on the couch and seemed convinced that I would make it until they returned from Vegas on Sunday. Tiffany and I were not so convinced.

I slept really well Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Although I was still having contractions they weren’t as regular as they had once been and seemed to slow considerably during the day. I felt pretty comfortable with Mr P leaving for Vegas. I was feeling like it would be Saturday, so I thought it would be nice for him to have a day or two with his friends. He left Thursday afternoon.

I went to bed early to try and get some good rest. I slept from 9:30 to 2:30, when I got up to use the bathroom. I noticed that I was having contractions, but they weren’t intense (they felt like braxton hicks contractions). Around 3:30 I started timing because they seemed pretty consistent. They were 8 to 9 minutes apart consistently for two hours. At that point my intuition kicked in and I knew this was real labor. I knew it was time to call Mr P. I left him a message and heard back shortly there after.

Of course, in true Vegas fashion, they were just getting back to their room and hadn’t been to sleep yet. I booked a flight for him while he goofed around with the boys and made sure that he knew he needed to be to the airport by 8am. His flight was leaving at 10:10 and I didn’t want him to miss it. While I was booking his flight the contractions started to intensify and were coming about 7 to 8 minutes apart.

He was scheduled to arrive in Denver at 1:10 and have an hour and a half layover and be into Colorado Springs by 3:39. His truck was already at the airport so he could be to the hospital in 20 or 25 minutes from there. It seemed like we were cutting it a little close, but I spent the rest of the morning praying that he would make it!!

Now, while this is all going on I was also checking in with my Mom periodically. She had left West Texas the night before and stayed in a hotel in New Mexico (about 4 hours away). She was leaving her hotel around 6 am and was planning to be to my house between 9:30 and 10.

By the time I’d gotten everything settled with Mr P it was about 7. My Mom was due to arrive in just a few hours. I actually got up and took a shower. I shaved my legs and even dried and styled my hair. I finished packing my hospital bag and got all three of our bags downstairs. I organized upstairs, made the bed and cleaned a little bit. I just felt the need to make sure that the house would be clean and orderly when we returned.

While I was up and moving around I wasn’t feeling the contractions, at least the pain from them. They just felt like tightening. However, they started coming even more frequently. They were roughly 3 to 4 minutes apart after I got out of the shower. Oh – and right before the shower I lost a huge chunk of the mucus plug. It was probably the most slimy and disgusting thing to happen the entire 9 months I was pregnant.

By the time I was downstairs doing the dishes my Mom arrived. I believe it was about 9:30. She had brought an entire box of my baby clothes, so we sat upstairs in Jacob’s room and went through the box. I was starving at that point and she had some letters to mail, so we went off to the post office and the grocery store. The contractions started to pick up while we were at the post office and were definitely stronger by the time we got to King Soopers. We picked up some eggs for breakfast (since the ones at home were frozen…weird, right?).

When we got home my Mom started on eggs and toast. It was at that point that I had to start walking to deal with the pain of the contractions. They were coming about 3 minutes apart and were much stronger than before. I spent the entire time she was cooking walking circles around the kitchen! I had a few bites of breakfast and I knew it was time to go. We packed everything in the car and headed off to the hospital at 11:25.


Jacob’s Birth Story Part II can be found here.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s